Related linksContact your local Lead Agent
Resources to safely exercise at home
There are many ways for you to regularly complete strength and balace exercise from the comfort of your own home.
Below you’ll find videos and resources to help you choose home exercises that are the right fit for you:
- Click here to find online videos to help you exercise at home
- Click here to find PDF documents to download to help you exercise at home
Note – before you do any of the exercises
Before you do any of the exercises in the videos and resources, please make sure you've read these health and safety recommendations:
- Wear suitable footwear such as sneakers or a firm fitting flat-soled shoe
- Have a phone in close reach
- Use something stable, such as a kitchen bench or sturdy chair for support
- Make sure you have plenty of space around you to complete your exercises
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated, either during or after exercise. Have a closed drink bottle nearby, avoid having cups or glasses that can spill easily near you
- Try and breathe normally whilst doing the exercises
- Feeling slight muscle soreness the next day is normal and just shows you've worked the muscles hard
- If any of the exercises cause pain in your joints or muscles, stop immediately. Check you're doing the exercise correctly and try again. If pain persists, leave that exercise out until you've sought advice
- If you experience chest pain, severe shortness of breath or severe dizziness, stop immediately and contact your healthcare provider.
Keep doing what you love with ACC’s free digital balance app, Nymbl.
ACC has launched a free, balance exercise app, Nymbl. Why Nymbl? Being in control of your health and wellbeing is so important for living a fulfilling life. Take control of your wellness by incorporating balance exercise into your lifestyle.
Nymbl enables you to regularly do balance exercises, wherever you are, whenever you want, improving your balance, and enabling you to keep doing the things you love.
Whether you want to improve or maintain your balance, the app will take you through simple body movements that are easy to fit into a daily routine. The programme is fun, safe, and quick – taking only 10 minutes a day to improve your balance.
The app is completely free and simple to use, and enrolling is easy – step-by-step instructions show how to download and to use the app from a smart device.
Download the app to your device from the App store or Google Play Store, take part in the app-lead balance activity regularly (10 minutes a day) at no cost and keep doing the things you love, right now.
Steady As You Go – Age Concern
Click here for a variety of exercises for older adults to improve your strength and balance. These videos range from 7 minutes to 47 minutes.
Stay active at home – Strength and balance exercises - 4 minutes routine
This video by the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy demonstrates 6 simple exercises to do at home to reduce your chances of a fall.
Strength & balance – 10-minute home routine
This video from Sport Northland shows a fun 10-minute exercise routine that includes modifications for different difficulty levels.
Standing exercises for older adults - 16 minutes
This video from Dartmouth-Hitchcock includes balance and strengthening exercises, which can prevent falls and hip fractures. It's suited for older adults who can stand with minimal support.
Super Seven exercises
These seven exercises from Physiotherapy NZ will help you keep your strength and balance and reduce your risk of falling.
Strength and balance exercise options
This document from Sport Canterbury includes various strength and balance exercise options. Exercises are clearly marked with their difficulty level, helping you tailor your exercise routine to your own ability.
Strength & balance home workout circuit
This document from Age Concern Auckland includes 14 circuit exercises with three difficulty levels to help you tailor the circuit to your own ability.
Seniors strength and balance exercise sheet
This sheet from Sport Northland includes strength and balance exercises as well as several great stretches to help keep you mobile.
SuperCue Seniors is an online exercise programme designed for those 60+ of all fitness and mobility levels.
SpinPoi offers evidence-based poi resources for older adults that will get your blood pumping, challenge your mind, and leave you feeling happy, energized, and ready to spin your health around.